Share on FB: http://on.fb.me/uRpFGk Twitter: http://bit.ly/tgKhOh
Veggie broth! Delicious and nutritious. Use it for making rice, seitan, soups and even for fighting off zombies!
makes about 20 cups of broth / 2 hours
4 cups onions diced
2 cups carrots chopped
2 cups celery chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley
7 cloves garlic crushed
2 Tbs thyme
5 or 6 bay leaves
3 Tbs olive oil
1. In large pot heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 4 to 5 min. Turn heat to high and add carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, garlic and bay leaves. Stir together and let cook for about 5 min.
2. Add 24 cups of water to pot and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn it down to medium heat, cover and let cook for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours.
3. Fill sink with cold water and ice. Take pot of veggie broth off stove and put in ice water to cool off.
4. Line colander with cheesecloth and place over separate large pot. Take cooled pot of veggie broth and strain it through the cheesecloth.
5. You can freeze it for up to 3 months or use it right away.