Dale & Chrysta celebrate the 30 year anni of “The Breakfast Club” w/ this VEGAN Sausage ‘n Gravy Biscuit Recipe that even meat lovers would serve detention to get a chance to eat! **CLICK SEE MORE FOR RECIPE**
Do us a solid and LIKE us on FB: http://www.facebook.com/DishingOnMovies
TWEET US: http://www.twitter.com/TheWalkingDale & http://www.twitter.com/KissMyBundt
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt
1-2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
4 Tbsp unsalted non-dairy butter (e.g. Earth Balance)
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (plain)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Next, finely chop fresh rosemary and set aside.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Dice butter, and place in freezer until ready to use. Add the cold butter and combine until only small pieces of the butter are visible. Work quickly so as not to melt the butter.
4. Add the fresh rosemary to the flour mixture and stir it in. (rosemary can be omitted). Make a “well” in the center of the dry ingredients and with a wooden spoon, pour almond milk mixture (1/4 cup at a time) and stir. (if mixture is a little dry, you can add up to ¼ cup more milk). Stir until just slightly combined, e.g. when the flour isn’t visible and the mixture is slightly sticky.
5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle the top with a little flour and then very gently flip the dough over on itself 5-6 times – lightly kneading.
6. Form dough into a 1-inch thick circle, (don’t over work it mess with it too much)
7. Use a 1-inch biscuit cutter or glass to cut biscuits. Place biscuits on a baking sheet making sure the sides touch.
8. Press a small divot in the center using two fingers and brush the top with melted non-dairy butter.
9. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
VEGAN SAUSAGE GRAVY
1/2 cup flour
4 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
6-8 ounces of vegan sausage
1/2 cup vegan butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Brown the vegan sausage until fully cooked and browned on the outside. Crumble (breakup) and remove from pan.
2. Add vegan butter to pan and melt. Next, stir in flour and black pepper over low heat and whisk 2 minutes, until flour is cooked.
3. Slowly add the faux-milk into the mixture and whisk until it is creamy and consistent and thickened, about 5minutes.
4. Add in crumbled “sausage”.
5. Serve hot over buttermilk biscuits for biscuits and gravy.