Recipe Link : http://www.tarladalal.com/Plum-Cake-Eggless-Plum-Cake-41307r
Tarla Dalal’s Social Media Links
Tarla Dalal’s Recipes, Health and Food Articles Website | https://www.tarladalal.com
Subscribe to Tarla Dalal’s YouTube Channel | https://goo.gl/h7JMA1
Follow Tarla Dalal on Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/tarladalal/
Like Facebook | https://goo.gl/mdcqLb
Get fab food images on Pinterest | http://www.pinterest.com/tarladalal/
Get Tarla Dalal IOS App | https://goo.gl/8jwErB
Get Tarla Dalal Android App | https://goo.gl/zxr56A
Join Tarla Dalal’s Google Plus | https://goo.gl/VbtwXZ
Twitter | https://twitter.com/Tarla_Dalal
Plum Cake, Eggless Plum Cake
Christmas is just so incomplete without Plum Cake. In fact, the air is so rich with the smell of Plum Cakes baking in ovens all around the city that everybody wants to have a bite. For those of you who do not have eggs but have been yearning for a taste of this fabulously rich, dry fruit packed cake, here is an Eggless Plum Cake, which is absolutely authentic in its taste and sure to steal your hearts. In this traditional treat, the crunch of dry fruits and nuts comes together with the rich taste and aroma of spices, the tanginess of orange juice and the intensely dreamy taste of cocoa and vanilla. Enjoy this cake warm, with a hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
Cooking Time: Nil.
Makes 1 loaf.
Baking Temperature: 180°C (360°F).
Baking Time: 40 to 45 minutes.
1½ cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp roughly chopped raisins (kismis)
2 tbsp roughly chopped black raisins (kismis)
2 tbsp roughly chopped sweet cherries
¼ cup tutti frutti
½ cup rum
½ cup soft butter
¾ cup condensed milk
½ tsp cinnamon (dalchini) powder
½ tsp nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
1½ tbsp cocoa powder
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 cup chopped mixed nuts (cashew, walnuts and almonds)
2 tsp grated orange rind
6 tbsp orange juice, refer handy tip
Sugar syrup for brushing
1. Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and baking soda in a deep bowl and keep aside.
2. Combine the raisins, black raisins, sweet cherries, tutti frutti and rum in a deep bowl, mix well and cover with a lid and keep aside for 24 hours.
3. Combine the butter and condensed milk in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk till smooth.
4. Add the sieved flour mixture gradually and fold gently using a spatula.
5. Add the cinnamon powder, nutmeg, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, soaked dry fruits, mixed nuts, orange rind and mix well.
6. Add the orange juice little by little to adjust the consistency.
7. Transfer the mixture in a greased 200mm. (8″) aluminum tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180⁰C (360⁰C) for 35 to40 minutes.
8. Cool slightly, loosen the edges using a knife and demould it by inverting the tin over a board and tap gently to unmould the loaf.
9. Brush the loaf with little sugar syrup and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
10. Cut into thick slices and serve immediately or store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
1) Use orange juice accordingly to adjust the consistency of the batter.
2) You can soak the dry fruits in rum or orange juice for minimum 24 hours.