Foolproof vegan pasta! By “foolproof,” I mean simple, easy-to-make, cheap and nutritionally complete. You could eat only this recipe and meet all of your nutritional needs AND it would only cost you $4.50 a day (based on a 2000 calorie diet).
Please let me know if you find this video useful. If so, I would love to make this a regular series. 🙂
*Foolproof Vegan Pasta*
– 13.25 oz (375 grams) whole wheat pasta (I used Barilla Rotini)
– 3 tbsp canola oil
-2 packages frozen vegetables (Kroger stir fry starters & Fiesta style vegetables)
– 24 oz pasta sauce (I used Classico Tomato & Basil)
– 1 cup dry TVP
– 1 cup calcium-fortified unsweetened almond milk (I used Kroger’s Simple Truth brand)
1. Start by cooking the pasta by following the directions on the package.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the canola oil and vegetables. Cook for a few minutes, just until the veggies are heated through.
3. When the pasta is done cooking, strain it and add it to the skillet along with the vegetables. Put it all into a huge bowl and set aside.
4. Return the skillet to the burner set to medium heat and add the pasta sauce, TVP and almond milk. (A neat trick for getting all of the pasta sauce out of the jar is to add the almond milk to the jar, shake it up, and pour into the pan.)
5. Let the mixture cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the TVP has soaked up some of the liquid.
6. Add the sauce to the pasta and veggies and stir. Season to taste.
*Support a rational vegan community*