Christmas Dinner Recipe: Roast Turkey – There’s no doubt that cooking a big turkey is a challenge for most domestic cooks. Keeping the breast moist while still making sure the rest of the bird is properly cooked is not easy. So why not make the whole thing easier on yourself by getting a turkey crown, available in most supermarkets these days.
* 1 crown turkey
* 2 packets of bacon
* 2 whole celeries
* 2 leeks (make sure they are washed)
* Root ginger
* Salt and Pepper
Ingredients for Five Spice Butter
* 1 block of soft butter
* 2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1. Combine ingredients for five spice butter.
2. Place turkey in roasting tin on top of the whole celeries and leeks.
3. Rub turkey crown with fresh root ginger.
4. Peel back the skin and spread the five spice butter between the flesh and skin.
5. Stuff the turkey and season with salt and pepper.
6. Cover with bacon.
7. Stick a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the turkey.
8. Wrap in a tinfoil tent.
9. Place in oven at 220°C for 30 minutes then remove and baste.
10. Reduce oven temperature to 170°C, return bird to oven and roast for 1½ hours.
11. Remove foil and increase oven temperature to 200°C for one hour to crisp. BE AWARE EVERYON;ES OVEN IS DIFFERENT. YOU NEED TO TO CHECK THE PROGRESS OF YOUR BIRD AT EVERY STAGE
12. Keep it wrapped in tin foil in a warm place and let it rest for an hour to allow the juices to seep back into the meat and to allow it to keep cooking on the bone.
MORE OF MARGARET’S WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS DINNER
* Roast Potatoes
* Cranberry and Plum Sauce
* Glazed Ham